For the right vehicle and the right buyer, used auto glass can have some great benefits, starting with a significant cost savings. It is not necessarily the right choice for everyone, however. For those considering used auto glass it’s critical to take a few precautionary steps and ask some questions.
Auto glass—whether side glass, rear windshield, or front windshield—must meet certain safety standards in design, structure, and installation. That’s because the glass in a car or truck plays a big role in the overall protection any vehicle provides the passengers inside. Used auto glass that has chips or scratches may no longer meet those standards so it’s important to carefully inspect a piece of used glass to ensure there is no damage.
Installation also is a critical part of auto glass safety, whether the glass is used or new, especially for the front windshield. Precise installation is key to limiting shattering, preventing occupants from being thrown during impact, even maintaining the integrity of the vehicle frame and ensuing that airbags deploy properly.
If you are in the market for used auto glass, your best assurance of a quality product properly installed is to work with a reputable company and ask detailed questions about the glass, the installation process, and any warranties that may be impacted before making a decision.
Used Auto Glass tips
There are pros and cons to choosing used when replacing your auto glass, however, you can maximize the benefits and overcome the concerns by keeping the following in mind.
- Work closely with your auto glass provider when identifying glass for your replacement needs.
- Ensure your provider thoroughly inspects used glass offerings and ask about the removal process of that glass, especially for windshields.
- Always perform your own inspection to check for chips, cracks, and scratches before buying.
- If you have a warranty on your vehicle, be sure to check the requirements for new or used replacement parts so you do not risk your warranty.
- Check your insurance coverage as it applies to replacement glass, as some policies will cover all or most of the cost of new replacement glass and installation.
- Make sure installation of your used glass is done by a certified automotive technician who knows the procedure for properly and safely installing any glass on your vehicle.
At Senneco Auto Glass, we offer the advantages of substantial inventory at a great savings when you need glass for your vehicle. We can typically provide glass that is a perfect fit for your vehicle and is available right away for complete installation, even for commercial vehicles and vintage cars and trucks.
Stop by our Cuyahoga Falls location to check out our wide variety of used car, truck, commercial vehicle, and RV glass.